Thursday, May 17, 2012

sushisush





Sushi! It had to happen.  It usually has to happen...and usually it should happen at New Island Sushi (just saying...go there..winkwink).  Everytime I've eaten sushi, I have always thought about how fun and complicated it looks to make! I thought, how the heck does the rice stay in there like that and not fall out in a million little ricey pieces....how do they roll this green sea weedy-stuff....and why is it sooo filling, (for little round rice and fish filled rolls?!?!).  So with my curiosity and a little extra cash to spend  on sushi supplies and a whim to go out on, I decided sushi had to be made!
Here's how I did it:
-boiled the rice (special rice for sushi making..which is how it sticks together so well..woo!)
-laid the seaweed out and painted the edges with water so it would stick together when rolling them up ( I bought the seaweed at an Asian Market which I'm currently forgetting the name of, but I also feel like you can probably buy seaweed packs at Superstore..cuz it's super there!)
-spread the rice on the seaweed and laid a row of crab across the rice
-then rolled them up  and voila! (easier peasier than I anticipated)
-served with wassabi and soya sauce and chopsticks! (don't eat your sushi with a fork, just don't!)


So the sushi turned out (according to my 'amature and always will be' scale) and decently satisfied the sushi craving !  This was my first shot though, and admittedly I was more concerned about the construction of the sushi's (plural?), versus the diversity of the sushi I made.  If I ever make sushi again, and I intend too, (perhaps after another long needed trip to a sushi place, so I can be inspired) I plan on being more creative with what I stuff them with (technical term)!

If you have never tried sushi, I hope this entry made you yearn for it, and if you haven't had any in a while, go get some ( and bring me back a fishy bag! [?]...get it?)

Comedic Foodie quote:  " Rice is good if you're hungry and want 2000 of something"- Mitch Hedberg

Slainte

No comments:

Post a Comment