Sunday, May 13, 2012

well my mom thinks I'm cool

Breakflast in a Pan (look at that mouth watering yellow layer of butter..mmm)

This morning I realised, my absolute favourite smell ever ever is the smell of breakflast cooking away !  It is just a wonderful smell, full of love, as if the breaklast loves you and wants you to eat it, and you'll willingly submit because you love it dearly, right back.  The smell is especially wonderful when breakflast is being made for me, but today is mothers day.  I got my sleepy buns out of bed this morning and made breakflast to celebrate my mom! Unbenounced to me though, she cannot even enjoy a bite of it because she got a little food poisoning last night from a restaurant (*cough..I won't say which one, mostly because I don't know if I'm allowed to hate on restaurants in my blog..and I did have a pretty enjoyable meal myself last night, with no food poisoning to boot).  Anyways, back to the breakflast topic.  Today I made 'Breakflast in a Pan', which is literally just how it sounds.  A shmorg of breakflast food packed tightly in a 9X12 pan and baked for an hour...mmmmmmmm!  I didn't invent this one, but I did definently use my own judgement when it came to the onion-cheese-bacon ratio.  The more the better I always say !
Here's how I did it:
-dragged myself out of bed ( late night last night...but the Avengers are worth it)
-lined a 9x12 inch pan with bread (crusts off)
-put a layer of cooked bacon or ham on top ( BACON it is!...both would be good too)
-sprinkle 2-2 and a half cups of shredded cheese ( more more more!)
-top with another layer of bread
-pour a mixture of beat eggs (6), milk (3 cups), chopped onion (quarter cup) [okay folks, seriously a quarter cup is NOTHING...never follow that instruction], chopped green bell pepper (quarter cup...pfft!), Worchestershire sauce (1 teaspoon...plus a touch more), and dryed mustard sauce (1 teaspoon).  I also added garlic powder for extra yum factor.
-pour this all over the layers in the pan
-sprinkled cornflakes (crushed or hole) all over the top ( this acts as a crust...and your cereal factor of breakflast if you just can't go without your cereal in the morning, like me)
-pour half a cup of butter all over the top and bake at 350 for an hour !

The first bite was divine...and every bite after did not disapoint!  Imagine the eggy-bacony-buttery-bready goodness, all in one bite!  Or even better, try your hand at this dish for yourself, OR make it for someone you love because who doesn't like being cooked for?!


Fact about this dish:  It also used to be called 'The Wife Savers Breakflast' or 'Lazy Man's Breakflast' ( think what you will about those two names...I had to laugh!)

So in closing, Happy Mothers Day to all the best moms in the world and to my mother, get better so you can maybe enjoy some breakflast for supper ( always satisfying!).

Slainte


P.S here's a picture of the bacon sizzling away...it's just a beautiful sight, so I thought I'd share it, incase you haven't had bacon in a while !







No comments:

Post a Comment